Social media has become central to the success of businesses and individuals over recent years. To keep up with the times, your business needs some kind of social media presence in addition to your established online one. Let’s look at the stats.
Depending on what your goals are for your company, there are different approaches you can take to social media marketing. You can share industry news and information with your network to help build your brand and keep in touch with your customers, while reaching potential new customers, too.
The first step to figuring out what’s right for you is to learn which channels and strategies will help you achieve your objectives.
Here are some interesting statistics from the big four social media channels.
Since debuting in the early 2000s, Facebook has gone through numerous updates to keep up with the ever-changing world and its users’ needs. They’ve also developed many features designed to increase engagement and help brands reach their target audience.
- Facebook is still the most used social network in the world, with over 2.7 billion monthly active users as of Q3 2020
- Across all industries, the median benchmark engagement rate per post is 0.09%, a statistic that has remained consistent year to year.
- Facebook advertising consists of 9 million active users as of Q2 2020 with mobile accounting for 92% of its total revenue
- Links were the most popular content type, making up just over 44% of all brand posts
Twitter also changes with the times, the most recent being the introduction of fact-checking as a response to the US presidential election. Another feature introduced was conversation control in an effort to help create more valuable and positive discussions. Twitter is often the first stop for many for news – political and pop culture alike.
- As of Q3 2020, there were reportedly 187 million monetizable daily active users (mDAUs)
- The all-industry median benchmark for Twitter engagement rate per Tweet is 0.045%, which has been consistent for the last three years
- The current median tweet frequency across all industries is 0.77 Tweets per day.
- Some industries, like the media and sports industries, post more than all other industries combined, with 9.54 and 7.24 Tweets per day, respectively.
Especially geared toward professionals, LinkedIn is the place to make business connections and meet business influencers. Brands also benefit from recruitment efforts and customer acquisition.
- LinkedIn has more than 722 million global users across over 200 countries and territories
- LinkedIn is the most-used platform for both organic content dissemination and paid social campaigns with 96% of B2B marketers using the site for content sharing
- In terms of views and engagement, your best bet is long-form posts (posts with 1900–2000 words)
Instagram is the home of the influencer. To better support brands, Instagram introduced new features in 2020 with the aim of helping businesses sell better and consumers shop easier. Among other features, Reels was added to the line up of Instagram videos in an effort to cultivate their relationships with content creators.
- Instagram has 1 billion monthly active users and 500 million of them use Instagram’s Stories feature
- The all-industry median benchmark for Instagram engagement rate per post is 1.22%
Social media is crucial for all small businesses
Understanding what statistics are important and how to measure them can help with building your marketing strategy.
Marketing Square can help you plan and implement a social media campaign to help you reach your goals. Get in touch today.